When you hear Galveston beach, it may not seem like the most amazing beach vacation but you will be in for a surprise. Galveston has a lot to offer if you are looking for a looking for a close to home vacation or looking to get away from the frozen tundra of the north.
It is probably the most reasonably priced vacation beach towns in the country. Whether you are a driving distance away or flying in to the closest airport in Houston, vacationing in Galveston will not break your bank.
Pricing for fishing, boat rentals, amusement park entrance, restaurants, beach front vacation homes/condos and hotels, and anything you might have to spend money on is the most reasonable when compared to any other destinations. Second, the people in Galveston are friendly and laid back and will go out of their way to make your vacation an enjoyable one!
Top 7 things you should check out on the island:
1. Beaches, Beaches, and more Beaches – With 32 miles of beaches and five beach parks, you can find your favorite spot to hang out for the day, weekend, or week and get a tan or enjoy your favorite beach activity. The beach parks include East Beach, Stewart Beach, Galveston Island State Park, Seawall Urban Park, and Dellanera RV Park. Waves at these beaches are just right for surfing.
2. Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark and Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier for amazing water rides, an indoor lazy river, and roller coasters. Kids will love you for spending some time at these two parks.
3. Moody Gardens – If you are looking for a great family experience, you can’t go wrong visiting Moody Gardens and enjoying the numerous activities it has to offer. Activities include the Aquarium Pyramid, Rainforest Pyramid, Discovery Pyramid and Museum, Ropes Course and Zipline, and 3D Theaters.
4. Great Restaurants and Bars – You can enjoy any flavor of food and the partying atmosphere at numerous restaurants and bars that stretch for miles along the Seawall. Our favorite restaurants include Mario’s Seawall Italian Ristorante for Italian food and the Sky Bar Restaurant for steaks and sushi. O’Malley’s Stage Door Pub is perfect to enjoy pub food and your choice of over 100 craft beers. You can find an assortment of restaurants, bars and pubs, and delis at the Historic Strand located close to the cruise terminal as well. Our favorite – The Black Pearl Oyster Bar.
5. 61st Street Fishing Pier – Avid fisherman can enjoy fishing right off the pier with available fishing rentals and other amenities. If you fancy, you can also charter a boat to go fishing offshore from one of the dozens available charters and tours in Galveston.
6. Festivals and Events – Depending on the time of year you are traveling, there are several festivals and events to choose from ranging from Oktoberfest to Mardi Gras. Visit this website for more information on the various festivals and events.
7. Galveston Island Horse and Pony Rides – Take an enjoyable pony or horse ride along the Galveston beach front and enjoy the ocean breeze.
If you are still yearning for more, visit www.galveston.com for several other events, activities, and attractions to consider while on the island. You won’t be disappointed with Galveston Island and will be able to vacation on a reasonable budget!