What is the Moody Mansion?
The Moody Mansion, otherwise known as the Willis-Moody Mansion is a historic residential building in Galveston. The mansion has 31 rooms and was completed in 1895. During the tour you will meet the family of W.L. Moody Jr., who was one of the wealthiest entrepreneurs in 20th century AMERICA.
About W.L. Moody Jr. and the Home
Moody was son to a civil war veteran who owned successful mercantile and cotton businesses. Moody grew up here in Galveston and built one of the nation’s greatest business empires in the early 1900s. He expanded the family enterprises to over 50 firms engaged in things like insurance hotels, banking, and publishing and writing. Moody purchased the mansion from its original owners in 1900. Step back into history and see all the beautiful furnishings of that era including their cars.
What are the Mansion Tour Options?
The Moody Family Tour- has members of the family telling stories about their ancestors. They types of tours are:
- Two self-guided Audio Tours– This has two different audio tours to set your own pace through the house
1. Mary’s Tour- the tour is narrated by an actress portraying Mary Moody as if she was guiding you through her home
2. The Moody Family Tour- is told by 6 Moody family members about their life back in the day. This tour is also available in Spanish
- Legacy Guided Tour– This is a behind the scenes tour describing the legacy of Mary Moody. A tour guide shows guests through areas that aren’t normally available to the public. During the tour she will describe Mary’s home and sharing her collections. Tour size is limited so please call 409-762-7668.
- Mary’s Gallery-This exhibit shows Mary Moody’s extensive and diverse collections. Mary’s Gallery features Native American Jewelry, poetry, baskets, kachina dolls, pottery and more.
- Children’s Museum– This is located on the ground- floor of the home and has a whole bunch of hands-on activities for kids. Make note, a separate fee is charged upon admission.
Where is the Mansion Located?
Galveston, TX 77550
Email: MoodyMansionGalveston@gmail.com Website: http://www.moodymansion.org/tour/
How much does the Tour Cost?
Self-Guided Audio Tour:
Students age 6 and over $6
Children 5 & Under Free
Behind The Scenes Tour:
$30/Person 4:15 pm Thurs-Sun • Limited size tour; reservations recommended; call 409 762-7668
Is there an Active Military Discount?
Yes. Admission is Free to anyone actively serving the US Military discount and up to 5 family members. You must show your military ID upon admission.
Prices and times are subject to change, be sure to call or go online to http://www.moodymansion.org/tour/
Is there a Discount for AAA or AARP Members?
Yes. There are discounts for AAA and AARP members; please show membership card to qualify.