What and when is it?
Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Tuesday, are the events of the Carnival celebration, that begins the day of or after the Christian feasts of Epiphany. It also begins on the day before Ash Wednesday (a Christian holy day of prayer, fasting and repentance)!
Mardi Gras will be celebrated Feb 22- March 5 on Galveston Island this year!
Why do we celebrate Mardi Gras?
People celebrate Mardi Gras because it is reflecting the practice of the last night of eating richer, and more fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten Season.
What is Kings Cake?
The Kings Cake is a cake associated with a number of countries involved with the celebration of Mardi Gras. The cake involves a party, a pastry, and a small plastic baby. The plastic baby is hidden inside a slice of cake and whoever gets that slice has to host the next party. The King Cake tradition has been around since around 1870 (almost 150 years)! It is traditional to bake the cake in honor of the three Kings.
Events During Mardi Gras Galveston 2019:
- March 3rd at 12PM- Shriners Hospitals for Children and Sunshine Kids Parade: Entire day of fun for the family. The parade will begin at 12 with festive floats, mini-cars and Shriners Clowns!
- March 3rd at 1:30PM- Krewe of Barkus and Meoux Parade will begin at 1:30 in the Historic Strand District!
- March 3rd at 3PM- Mardi Gras Children’s Parade: Local first responders and firefighters will host a parade to the children and the families in Galveston with floats and costumed kids!
Jolly Jester Jaunt 5K:
The 5K run or walk will start in the heart 0f the Mardi Gras. It will be an unforgettable 5K experience that will start on February 23rd, 2019.
- 5K Only- $35 (price will increase to $55 after February 6th)
- 5K With Balcony Party Ticket from 12PM- 4PM- $80
Balcony parties offer a great view of the Mardi Gras festivities, a cash bar, and music. Prices vary depending on which event you would like to attend. For more information on these balcony parties click here.
- Poster Contest- Residents of Galveston will have a poster contest with a chance to win 1,000 dollars. To enter you have to be 16 or older and a United States citizen. All submissions will be due before 3PM on January 16th.
- Umbrella Decorating Contest- This will be the 8th annual umbrella decorating contest. Anyone that is a United States citizen over the age of 18 are allowed to compete and show off their work.
- Coloring Contest- Kids under the age of 12 have a great chance to show off their skills. 3 different kids from 3 different age groups will be chosen winners and they have a chance to ride in a float.
Just like every other years, bands and songwriters will perform, but as of writing this, they have not yet been determined, but will be updated soon. For more information or updates, click here.
Where to Stay?
In Galveston there are many places to stay. For example, there are hotels, beach homes, and more. In my opinion, I prefer a beach home over hotels, because for one, you have more privacy. You also don’t have to eat out all the time. You can cook in, enjoy the beach, and beautiful views. You can also get a home with 4 bedrooms, more than one bathroom, and no one else causing disruptions around you!